“Mathematics is a creative and highly inter-connected discipline that has been developed over centuries, providing the solution to some of history’s most intriguing problems. It is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary for financial literacy and most forms of employment. A high-quality mathematics education therefore provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically, an appreciation of the beauty and power of mathematics, and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.” (National Curriculum 2014)
At St Margaret Mary’s we believe that all children can achieve in mathematics. We aim to ensure that all children become FLUENT; REASON and EXPLAIN mathematically and SOLVE PROBLEMS.
We aim to do this through:
- providing cross-curricular opportunities
- creating a lively, exciting and stimulating environment
- promoting the concept that acquiring maths knowledge and skills provides the foundation for understanding the world
- encouraging children to use mathematical vocabulary to reason and explain
- developing a curiosity of maths, creating a sense of awe and wonder
- challenging children to stretch themselves and take risks in their learning
Good learning at St Margaret Mary’s takes place when students are given opportunities to solve problems by developing their understanding and making links between different areas of mathematics and applying their skills.
Good teaching at St Margaret Mary’s enables good learning to take place. It involves creating an appropriate environment in which students can respond to high levels of expectation and challenge. They are kept on the edge of their thinking.